Tuesday 10 May 2011

Tokyo

I arrive by plane in Tokyo around noon on the 1st of July. Straight from Narita Airport I'll be heading to my hostel, the lovely looking Aizuya Inn in Taito-ku (http://www.aizuya-inn.com). Again I'm staying in a private single bed room, this time with a shared bathroom. You can straight away see the differences in prices between China and Japan though, as this room will cost me ¥2500 a night, which is about £20. Still, it is one of the better value places I'm staying.
<-- the common room of Aizuya Inn.
This hostel, like many others, has an attached kitchen/bar. It has a slightly different system though. The menu is priced in "coins", with each coin costing ¥100. So a beer is 5 coins, ie ¥500, and an "English" breakfast (including: toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, salad, a yoghurt and coffee or OJ) will cost another 5 coins. It's pretty cheap, less than £4.00 for all that food.
To get to the hostel, I'll take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno, then hop on the Hibiya Line to Minami-Senju St.. From there, its a short walk to the hostel (or so I am told, this doesn't include getting lost and distractions).

I have 7 nights in Tokyo, this time around anyway. While in Tokyo, I'll mostly be using the famous subways to get around, and the seemingly best and easiest way to do this is use the Suica Card. For a deposit of ¥500, and then top-ups as and when you need it, you can easily swipe in and out of the stations. Very similar to London's Oyster Card.

No comments:

Post a Comment