Monday 16 May 2011

Visas

PLEASE NOTE: the information in the following post is only for UK citizens. Visa agreements and conditions may be different for different nationalities. This information is only for UK because I only know the information for the UK.


Visa to visit the People's Republic of China
This one caused me so much grief. Getting the visa is easy enough, just the fact that it is very expensive. Anyway, here's the information: to enter China for any amount of time, apart from in the airport, you need a visa issued by the China Visa Application Service. I am in China for 5 days, and I still needed a visa.
The smallest (time) visa you can get is for a one month stay anywhere within a three month period. So 30 days between the visa being issued and 90 days after that. Therefore, don't apply for your visa 6 months before you leave, as it will expire.
A Visa for China is expensive. Think of this before you go to China. A part of me regrets choosing to go to China purely because of how expensive the visa was. So here's the cost breakdown:
£30.00 Visa Fee
£45.00 Application Service Fee
£9.00 VAT (20% of the above prices)
£11.35 in Post Office Fees and Return Special Delivery Envelope
£4.00 for 2 passport photos

Total: £99.35
And that is why I ask you to thoroughly check details about China. It may be cheap once you get there, but getting in will cost you.

To apply for the visa (for UK citizens) go to http://www.visaforchina.org.uk. Then follow the instructions on there. I personally applied by post, but you can also apply in person or online (note: online application is not supported by all web browsers. I know from experience it doesn't work with Google Chrome).

And finally, here's my visa!! Sorry that it's sideways

Visa for Japan
UK citizens (and many other nationalities) do not need a visa to enter Japan if they in the country for less than 90 days. This means that for my 60 day trip, I will not need a visa. For people wanting to stay in Japan for longer than 90 days, you will have to visit a local bureaucratic office and get the stay extended. I believe it is at this point that you also have to get an Alien Registration Card (Gaijin Card). However, don't quote me on that, I haven't looked into it I'm afraid.
One thing you should know, I keep hearing that when entering Japan, for no matter how long your stay, you may be asked to show proof of funds to keep you going on your stay. Essentially they don't want you working when you shouldn't be. I think you also need a return ticket already booked, unless you have a visa of course. Obviously the easiest way to do this is to carry a big case full of cash, but that's not exactly practical for a traveler. Some people have done it though (JapanChannelDCom on YouTube said he entered with $25,000 Australian in cash). Anyway, I'm going to print off receipts or statements for the cards I am taking into Japan, and fingers crossed it'll be enough.

So that's my quick information on visas for a holiday. I wouldn't even begin to claim that I know much about visas for Japan, your best bet would be to go on official websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment